Firstly let me lay my cards on the table. I love the idea of social media. I am probably one of those people who thought that the original internet talkers were the first versions of the Social Media that we see before us today. If only we had kept on plugging away on the ew-too talker code, maybe we could have created the first Facebook :)
In many ways, social media is great. It allows friends and family to keep in touch over great distances. It allows groups of like minded people to share content and ideas. It allows campaign groups to quickly gather followers, visibility and momentum. It can be a great force for good. But as with everything there is a negative side to it.
If anyone has used Facebook there are some common themes that emerge during status updates:
1. I'm having a clear-out of my friends list. Now before I start on this one, there are genuine reasons for cleaning up friends lists. But there is also the other side of this which is the person screaming out for attention in the form of "please don't delete me. I know I have been crap at keeping in touch, but I will work hard on it" responses. For me the great temptation is to say "ok delete me...I will cope some how"
2. "I am fed up with..." Not actually giving any details. The classic passive aggressive post. The post that demands attention. That wants and craves it and more often than not the response from the original poster is an even more cryptic response.
3. "I'm deleting my account.." Again another classic post to illicit a response. Please stay. I woul dmiss you if you were gone. The number of people that say they are deleting their accounts and yet are back within a few weeks is awfully high.
4. The Dual Account. They have two accounts. The reason, to keep things secret from some people. If you don't want people knowing...don't add them as friends. Facebook and other social media sites are not popularity contests.
So my suggesting, use it as you would see fit. If people upset you, they do that. They have been doing that for years before today and will continue to do it for years in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment