So another season has started. And I can tell you, a few hours after the game ended I am starting to ache a little bit. It is the first game, but my core is hurting. I know I am out of shape, not prepared enough but that is the same every season. But then again I am playing against people in their 60s and 70s and even older. So I shouldn't really be complaining.
The rinks are looking good (and so they should). The team who look after them have worked hard over the winter, taking the grass back, re-seeding and treating the grass to produce this beautiful green surface. As the season goes on patches will appear (and even our local friendly fox will leave his mark on the greens).
And before anyone makes a comment, yes Bowls in this country is played mostly by retired people, but in places such as Australia it is a young person's sport. It is a game of skill, of hand/eye co-ordination and luck.
We had 4 rinks today, each with 4 players from each side. 2 bowls each. The game is simple, get your bowls as close to the white jack as possible. The more bowls your team gets closer to the jack, the more points you score. So in a single end, the maximum you could score is 8 points.
Today we were playing South Ockendon. Last season we went to them on the opening day of the season and it was bitterly cold. We had rain, hail and icy wind. Today the sun shone. It wasn't as warm as it will be later in the season, but for a first weekend it was warm enough.
21 ends later and our rink had secured a victory 17 to 13, however overall the club lost 59-75. Not so close, but still the first game of the season so not a bad result.
And on a positive note. For the first time in 2 seasons I played, and both of my parents played in the same match. That for me was the most special part of the day.
And next weekend, I am playing Saturday and Sunday. Bring it one :)

No comments:
Post a Comment